Osler’s Punch is served at winter meetings of the Osler Club of London in the Thomas Cotton Room from 6:30 pm
As prescribed for the Society in Oxford by D.A.Abernethy in 1921
Tangerine Oranges: 6
Tarragona Wine: 1 Bottle
Rum: 1 Bottle
Brandy Whisky or Gin: 1 Bottle
Boiling Water: an equal quantity
Cloves, ginger or spices to taste
Heavy Cream: Pint 1/2
Stick the tangerines (or other oranges) all over with the cloves and stew gently in a suitable vessel in the Tarragona wine for 20 minutes together with the ginger and/or spices.
Add the rum and other spirits
Add the boiling water equivalent of three bottles
Keep the punch on a hot plate or gentle gas ring and serve with a ladle as hot as reasonable
Just before serving add the cream and stir well.
- If Tarragona be unobtainable, any SWEET heavy red wine will do
- The beverage is very smooth and therefore a little insidious. It can be strongly recommended to give the quietus to him who boasts that he has been drinking all evening and that he is sober as a judge.
- Some prefer to add pouring cream to the surface of the punch when serving.
- If the wine is not sweet some 3 tablespoons of sugar can be added.
- If the cream is too cold it may not layer on top of the punch.